Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Blog Post #2, Power

            Power. What does it look like to us and how do we determine who is in control of it? This was a recent topic of discussion in communities and organizations. We were asked as a class to go one at a time, putting the chairs in any formation, while leaving one chair in a position of what you thought was power. It was interesting to see the chairs move from having one surrounded by the others, to it being isolated away from the rest. There were subtle changes made, from just lifting the arm of a chair to turning a chair around.  

           
            I live in a cooperative, and I found this exercise to be very similar to this kind of living situation. We have officer positions held within the house, and they are allotted to a handful of the people living there. It made me wonder how we manage to come to a decision of who is deserving of each position and who is not. Why do some people run for multiple positions while others run for none? It is true that most of the people who gain a position of power have lived in a cooperative for the longest amount of time, but does that mean experience alone makes someone more capable of that job? As a society everyday we pick and choose who we believe to have power. Is there a set definition, or does it change from person to person?

Observation: I was recently asked on the street if I supported Planned Parenthood. I noticed that a majority of people being asked this question did not stop to acknowledge or answer the question. 

5 comments:

  1. I found your observation to be very interesting. I myself have been asked to stop and talk with a PP representative. I usually ignore the question and keep walking because I rarely have time. I think that even if I support a cause (I support planned parenthood) I associate all of the street reps with each other and usually don't give them the time of day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you question the distribution of power and how those dynamics play out differently in multiple social settings. The question of who gets what and how we decide as a society is something that seems ever changing, but that is distinctly based on superimposed standards and norms that are by no means universal. Is it experience, seniority, personality, or privilege that decides? Great post and good food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is an interesting parallel you've drawn to the activity in class and your living situation. It is hard not to relate this activity to our own lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comment #3
    Really cool observation. I feel that everyone who walks down the drag on a regular basis is approached by these people. I, myself, am guilty of just blowing them off and lying to them so that I can get to my destination on time or just to get some dang food. Why is it so hard for us to stop and give these people 5 minutes of our day for a cause that I, actually, personally support?

    ReplyDelete